Monday, October 22, 2012

News from the garden

This summer my husband and I had a great time trying out new plants and planting techniques.  Although plenty of people have probably already "been there, done that", we are enjoying our trial and error gardening.  By far the biggest garden success is still going strong:  our butternut squash.

I bought a squash (conventional) from the grocery store in the spring and decided to see what would happen if I planted the seeds I removed.  I started them in small pots, then transplanted the seedlings to the ground when I felt they could survive red clay on a hill.  Survive they did, and now those little plants have taken over half of our backyard.  They have run up on our patio and over the fence into the neighbor's yard.  Squash are everywhere!  I believe the squash growing on the other side of the fence is payment for our garden overtaking their yard, not to mention their yard is a jungle anyway....

We also thoroughly enjoyed growing our own lettuces, and were really sad when the Georgia heat eventually killed them.  What a huge savings to not have to buy salad each week, and fresh salad from our garden was so delicious.  This weekend I planted some lettuce seeds (organic, non-GMO) and I'm eagerly waiting for some new lettuce.  After the seeds were planted I turned my attention to weeding and later found my sweet daughter helping mommy by digging in those pots.  Hopefully they will live after her gardening efforts!

Lastly, I am a big believer in letting something run its course.  No matter how bad my tomato plants look, I am not taking them down until they have produced as many tomatoes as possible.  It is late October and I'm still enjoying tomatoes and basil from my garden, so those ugly plants will be staying put until further notice.

No comments:

Post a Comment